Multi-Age Grammar School Teacher
Sundial Classical Farmstead is seeking an innovative, entrepreneurial teacher with the big ideas and practical experience to craft a program from the ground up. This position is for a multi-age classroom teacher with students who are either 6-8 years old or 8-10 years old. Classrooms generally have 10 to 15 students.
Sundial is located on a nature center and uses every inch of its 180 acres for science, art, history, and sometimes even dance class. Our motto is Schola Natura - leisurely, contemplative learning in the natural world. It may be best characterized as forest school meets Charlotte Mason classical education.
We provide a balanced academic and enrichment program in our commitment to truly form the whole child: body, mind and soul. We are looking for faculty who can move comfortably from teaching grammar, math and Latin to teaching carpentry, gardening, and needlepoint.
Classroom teachers will be expected to help develop a three-year, cyclical curriculum plan for a multi-age classroom. They are welcome to use resources provided to them or to bring in curricular materials they already know and love so long as the content and methods support the Charlotte Mason approach to learning. Teachers will plan mid-semester and end-of-semester assessments in the form of tests, recitations, papers, and/or projects, according to the teacher’s preference.
Sundial does not use any technology in the classroom, give letter grades, administer standardized tests, nor provide traditional report cards. It does provide parents with written narratives about their child during Parent/Teacher conferences that last from 1-2 hours per family. In short, we are looking for teachers who really love the art of teaching, get excited about curriculum development, and can happily talk about what their students are learning all day long!
Your work schedule would be as follows:
- M-Th 7:45am to 3:45pm (8 hours per day)
- Fridays 9am to 11:30am (2.5 hours per day)
- Assistance at four ~3 hour evening student demonstration/performance events per year (Total of 12 hours)
- Parent Teacher conferences at least twice per year at 1-2 hours per student for up to 15 students (Maximum total of 60 hours, but since it is permissible to conduct these during regular classroom hours based on parent availability, this number could be reduced in that way)
- 3 paid sick days
- 1 week off for Thanksgiving break
- 1 week off for Spring break
- 6 weeks off for Christmas/Winter break or you can work for additional pay during our 3-week January Arts & Trades program (Jan 15 – Feb 2). Here is our 2023-2024 Calendar.
Sundial is founded on the Christian faith and its Directors must be professing Christians who fully affirm Sundial’s Statement of Faith & Ethics. However, Sundial does not necessarily require anyone: student, parent, teacher, staff, or volunteer, to confess a faith or profess adherence to a specific religion. All are asked to read our Statement of Faith & Ethics, Neutrality Policy and Dress Code Policy carefully to ensure that they can commit to supporting these before joining our organization.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and a deep understanding of classical education. Applicants will undergo a background check and abuse prevention training as a part of the acceptance process.